In today’s working world, your professional online brand is key. LinkedIn can help you build one. Here’s how.
- 1 Be authentic. The best online identities are real, honest, and focus on what makes you unique and what you can offer. Personal branding is not about sales or spin.
- 2 Create a distinctive profile headline. Your LinkedIn headline is the first description that people will see. Make it count. Good headlines are clear, confident, and use terms people search for.
- 3 Avoid clichés. Words like “creative,” “extensive experience,” and “team player” appear on so many profiles that they’re almost meaningless. Find unique ways to describe your skills.
- 4 Be visible. Stand out by updating your status with projects you’re working on, stuff you’re reading (and your opinions on them), and events you’re attending. Your brand is not just who you are; it’s what you do.
- 5 Build brand associations. You’re judged by the company you keep. By building your LinkedIn network, you’re building your personal brand. Connect with colleagues, classmates, and others.